Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Neglected Fruit

I am still trying to figure out what to say about my grandfather's death... it is part of the mystery of faith that the time surrounding the funeral became a family reunion, with a lot of laughter and joy.

My grandmother always has some fruit and cheese around. It just so happened that she had my favorite cheese, Petit Basque, a sheep's milk cheese, and my favorite fruit, pears. You don't always get pears, it seems. In fact, it seems that only now am I considering that they are my favorite fruit. Apples are their more glamorous, popular, available cousins.

But pears and sheep's milk cheese, it gets no better.

Pears are a lesson, really. You see them. But they're not ready yet. You have to wait and let them get to their syrupy best. They sit on the window sill and you about die until you can eat one.

So there I was in Cali, with some comfort food. And how awesome was it to come back to two pears waiting for me? I had them on the window sill.

No comments: