Friday, May 29, 2009

Strawberries

So we had our first really good strawberries. we have been fighting the robins for them, finally won with a net. We picked the 10 or so ripest ones. They just melted in a blast of sweetness.
When we visited my grandmother's people in France, Bernardo the gardener would pick fresh strawberries and pour sweet red wine and sugar over them. Let's just say he and I had a few of those before dinner. I was 12, and hit the hay early that night.

These front-yard strawberries are so good you can't even call what you get in the store strawberries. My love for Santa Cruz notwithstanding, these are the best strawberries ever. I think next year we grow hundreds of plants in the garden and sell them.

Jessie's potato idea, of stacking tires around them is working. These taters are so tall some are ready for a second tire! The theory is covering up the leaves makes more tubers. Well, that's not a theory, it works. BUt what we're not sure about is how high you can force the plant to grow. One guy claims he got about 40 lbs from one plant growing them in a barrel. If that's true, and we get 20 lbs from each of ours that will be more than 500 lbs of taters in a little backyard spot.

I'll put some pics up when I figure out how to do this from my crackberry. Which by the way is awesome. Charlotte gives me all the info on new visitors. Used to be, I'd have that on a card or an email, and then I would look the number up and call. NO more. C-lotta sends me an email and then boom! I scroll down to the number, it's highlighted, I hit the trackball, call made.

Or how bout having my daily agenda sent to me first thing in the morning? My major disappointment has been my calendar. I have to write it on a paper calendar or call Charlotte to write it down. No more. I have my calendar in my hands, I can add to it wherever I am (and as some of you know, my confession is that no preacher's work gets done in the office), and Charlotte can add to it, and I get it.

No comments: