Friday, September 26, 2008

The Last of Virgil's Goatherds

Brandon, Melissa’s brother, told me a few days ago that he and Joe had gone into town. Joe said that he knew why Brandon married “E.E.” (their name for their aunt, Erin).

“Why’s that?” Brandon asked.

Joe said, “because she’s pretty. Brandon agreed and then asked Joe, “Why did she marry me?”

Joe thought for a minute and said, “I don’t know.”

_______________________________________________________

The boys were out of school, so that meant one thing: avoiding going to Chuck E. Cheese for as long as possible.

We started the morning by going to get Osman, one of the guys from our church. Osman had spent some time working for a woman who raises dairy goats and makes cheese. Osman and I have talked about goats and making cheese on a few occasions. So we had thought for a while about going out there.

After a drive through the country, we found the farm. It looks like the goat stuff is more of a hobby, but one they have put a lot into. The lady was busy filling an order, and let us have the run of the place. She has 26 goats that she has bred, plus I am not sure how many kids running around. She said we were free to let the kids out if we wanted. So we got in the stall with them and let them out.

They were, like most goats, pretty friendly, nibbling on everything. They did not mind being held, except for one who was really shy. She said that one had not been bottle-fed. She bottle feeds almost all of them, that way they are easy to call for milking.

We were bummed to find out that she could not sell us any milk—we have been looking for a place to get some fresh goat’s milk for cheese. At this point, my mom says, “oy vey,” sure that I will poison myself. My dad, because he will eat anything (look, I have been with him in Spain and Greece; he will eat ANYTHING), will be memorialized on my label when I have my cheese empire.

Well, as our time wound down (after the incident where the lady thought Osman was my son—maybe I do need just for men…) John and Joe worked together to herd the kids back to their pen. They did a really good job, circling around, pushing ahead. Jessica says that she thinks that she could disguise the goats as dogs, and so fool the county. “And the boys love them so much.” I want goats, too, but I don’t know that Jessie really needs to be known as the Goat Lady of Northside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it is illegal for all but certified grade A dairies to sell milk. However it is legal to participate in a community goat or cow milk share, where you own part of a goat and pay the farmer to board your part of the animal in exchange for your part of the milk production. You might enquire if the lady offers a goat share program.

Melissa K. said...

Everyone else on your block's a little wacky...she'd fit right in. It's all about being incarnational you know. Go for the goats...then we could get a pony and a llama...and charge admission and have one of those little dispensers that people put quarters in for a handful of cardboard looking stuff to feed these animals...oh I have a dream. I could totally market this for your guys.