Saturday, September 6, 2008

Evangelism

Clifton and I finally got out to do some evangelism. It was the best single day of evangelism visits I have been party to. It was not simply that Clifton was willing to go. It wasn’t only that he just jumped in. Second house we stop at, he says, “My name is Cliff, this is my pastor, Aaron. We’re from the Rock Methodist Church.” And then he would invite them to worship with us. I sat back and only said anything if they had a particular question, or if they indicated they did not attend worship anywhere.

The reason it was such a good day was because I went out into the neighborhood with a respected and known man from the neighborhood. Clifton has lived here most of his life. His family is well-known. His wife’s family is well-known. He saw a guy on the street and said, “he’s going through a rough time in life right now…” We went over, Cliff invited him to church and the young man said, “I know I need to come…” I asked why he didn’t. It led to discussions about recent deaths in his family and some other issues. I gave him one of my tracts and walked him through salvation in Jesus. He listened. He gave me his phone number, saying he would like for me to call him.

Did I mention that as we walked along, Robert Highfill joined us? Or that in one house where Cliff’s daughter was playing, she decided she wanted to go with us? And both those kids were able to talk to parents of their friends? It was like having tips on not just who to visit but what was happening. They know more incidentally than I do after two years of hitting the streets. But this is what all that hitting the streets is aimed towards: building relationships at the right time in the right place with the right people. I am betting that I will find another evangelist soon.

At another house, we saw two apple trees in the front yard, producing well. Fall apples. Could we come by and pick some? Why sure…

All along the way as we walked, we talked about what the Bible says about evangelism, about scattering seed, and the narrow road. We’ll have to keep seeking the houses of peace, the prophets from among the neighborhood.

No comments: