Saturday, May 3, 2008

Bikes

We are now a biking family. My mom and dad buy the boys bikes when they grow into new ones. I think I get as excited as the boys do when we get their bikes! Bikes are such an elegant piece of technology, such a piece of Kid-dom. They each have Giants. Jessie brought her mountain bike over, a North Face. Today, I found a Diamondback mountain bike. I was thinking about a road bike, but was also thinking that a mountain bike could be more versatile.

Then I found a deal that could not be passed up. No way of getting a bike that good that cheap anywhere. So I bought it. Diamondback Outlook if you go to the website and want a look.

This weekend, it’s just Joe with us, John is at Mammaw’s. Joe and I walked around a little this morning. When I came back with the bike, Joe and I went for a ride, the same route we took for our walk. I guess it’s the longest ride Joe and I have taken.

It was really fun and sweet. And then there was just a second where I remembered that I used to walk behind John and Joe as they rode their first bikes through our neighborhood in Louisville. Those were tough, desperate times. Everything—every decision about what to do involved a wrenching choice. That is, there was no balance. Work, boys, Melissa. Each one kept me from the others. It was the terrible times when I had to do something with the boys meaning not with her, and time is short all around. In the end, what I appreciate most about my life with Melissa was that she was all about the boys. She never begrudged me the time.

I think it has been a good thing to have Joe here with us by himself. I think both boys can use that kind of time apart from each other and then with us.

Roz is living with us until his place is ready, and that has been a lot of fun. The boys torture him in the morning when they wake up. We spend a lot of time ruining each other. Sara Smith will be staying with us for the summer as she does work in the Hispanic ministry and with the kids. The boys are looking forward to having her around.

We had 23 people over for dinner Thursday. Had a great chance to get to meet some new folks. We’re surrounded here. Both by the Lord’s people and the people who don’t yet know they are the Lord’s…

No comments: