Thursday, January 15, 2009

No Stress Chess

My mom told me about this product, No Stress Chess. It's a chess set, with a twist. It has a bunch of cards you play with. Each card has a piece, and you have to move that piece. It tells you how the piece moves. The theory is that you by pass a huge learning curve in chess-- learning the complicated moves. You just do them as the card shows. It takes some strategy away, of course, but it really does teach the moves quickly. After 5 games now, John and Joe both not only know how the Knight moves but can see possibilities of capture with it-- which takes a while to develop.

Anyway if you are looking to teach anyone chess, I recommend it! I have two boys who have (for the time being) quit watching Sponge Bob to play chess. They keep asking me to play! I think it can work for older folks, too. I have started a chess club at the church, and there are some middle school kids who have never played, so we'll see.

I am interested that some of the kids who are written off at school as ADHD or just hard to deal with b/c they can't focus will sit and play chess with me for an hour or two. Just a thought.

No comments: