Friday, November 14, 2008

Why I Did Not Vote

I did not vote in this last election. I noticed that my last post on Wal-Mart had some friends howling at me, tho I have not seen any comments. I suppose what I’ll say here will seem the same. I guess I should also say that I like to debate, and so if I’m wrong here, let me know. But I probably won’t think so without some real help!

The reasons why I did not vote go back a bit. Well, there is only one reason, really. I don’t want to be involved in what is going to happen over the next few years. So I was not going to give a vote one way or the other. Here’s how I came to that conclusion.

I had voted in every election since 1988. But I only voted for a major party candidate once. I voted Libertarian every other time.

The proximate cause for my decision came a little over a year ago at a fund-raising banquet. A speaker, by way of talking about inspiration in his life, praised Eisenhower. Now, Eisenhower was a great man and president. But in other spheres, I am not sure he can be accepted that way. I am a Methodist pastor. And one of my pastor-brothers is a man from Congo, Jonathan Lumumba. His father, Patrice, was the first democratically elected leader of Zaire. The Belgian secret service with U.S. help or perhaps U.S. apathy, assassinated Mr. Lumumba. Eisenhower was briefed on all this.

Then, Sojourners had an editorial on Robert Kennedy and how his assassination crushed the dreams of a generation. That was a bit much, given that we should not put our hope in men or kings. There was also something in praise of JFK. All of which is fine. Great men. And yet, I began to think we should not be surprised they were assassinated. I know it is a deep wound in the country’s history, but they were involved in assassinations of other world leaders, and best I can tell, you live by the sword, you die by it as well. It seems to me that if the Book of Kings were written today, and we were looking at, for example, the Kennedys, they would be in the categories of Ahab and Omri, with touches of Josiah and Hezekiah.

So, basically, that night at the banquet I was sad. What if Rev. Lumumba were there to hear praise for the man who either had his father killed or could have saved him? How can I praise Obama? He will be part of shady dealings in his administration. And clearly, unborn people are in more danger than they have been in years. Bloody years ahead: on the battlefield, in hidden places around the world, and in the womb. I simply did not want to have my name attached to any of it.

But I take a second look. Peter Storey preached a sermon on the eve of elections in South Africa. He said that because his church was integrated, the whites were going to have to look the blacks in the eyes after they voted. Would they vote to keep them subjugated? Or would they vote with an eye to casting a vote that would give the voiceless a voice?

I think this is the only thing I have heard about Christian politics that makes any sense.

Then there’s this. If we’re so much in an “empire” as is fashionable to say now, then why do we not act like Christians in the Empire? This has been a question I have been asking for about 5 years—not because I believe we’re in anything like Babylon or Rome (you’re going to have to do more than say so to make me believe we are) but because we’re not. Peter and John did not have a vote. And so I wonder—would they do anything differently? That is, they did not seem to give a rip what the Romans did. They did not lead protest marches. They did not crave audience with power to bring about justice. Rather, they invited people into the Kingdom life and rejected this disgusting and dying world in favor of life. Vultures live on a carcass, my friends.

But was this the Apostles’ way because they were disenfranchised? Would they vote if they could? Would they care to?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would Jesus vote? If his disciples were Roman and Rome was a democracy, would he encourage them to vote? Does voting bring about the Kingdom? Do e rely on a worldly governemtn to be the voice of the Kingdom? Do we expect a government to do what we should be doing? Can we do it together?

Yeah, I didn't vote either, and I have a feeling it is going to take me a few more lifetimes to answer the questions above.

Aaron said...

I am glad there is someone else out there. I mean it's one thing to just blow it off. But I can't shake a discontent, a fear about the way we think a politician is going to lead us to anything worth having.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like Manicheanism to me. Sure, people are flawed, human governments are flawed, no politician is going to make moral choices that we agree with in every case, and most politicians probably find themselves faced with choices between equally repellent options sometimes. But to turn our backs on the whole process? I don't think that's a good idea. I'm not going to argue that God must have created politicians for a reason or anything ;-), but abandoning the whole conversation over how the world is governed seems like saying there's no possibility that it could be governed better or that worldly leaders make any difference in human lives. I suppose various churches have used this kind of argument in the past, but I don't really buy it. That argument just opens the door (and quite rightly in my opinion) for comments about religion being an opiate for the masses and such. I think that people's material and political conditions in the world do matter, not just for their bodies, but for their hearts and minds (or souls, if you like) too.

Aaron said...

I don't see Manichaeism in what I wrote, unless it's frustration with only two parties.

Maybe I should be clearer: I have to reject the idea that Christians should vote for Obama or McCain, that somehow either one of them is going to express the gospel in any meaningful ways. And not only are they incapable of doing so they will actually go in directions opposed to the gospel.

Anonymous said...

I see. Thanks for clarifying. Seeing neither candidate as viable from your moral perspective I can totally understand. The two-party system frames the conversation too narrowly. For myself, though, I’m thrilled about Obama. Finally, an intelligent leader again, even if he does turn out to be just as centrist as Clinton was. And our first black president. Wow!

It was these two comments from your posts that sounded to me like Manichean dualism:

“But I can't shake a discontent, a fear about the way we think a politician is going to lead us to anything worth having.”

“They did not crave audience with power to bring about justice. Rather, they invited people into the Kingdom life and rejected this disgusting and dying world in favor of life. Vultures live on a carcass, my friends.”

Then again, Paul the Apostle says things like this too... but his Christianity is really dualistic. I bet there’s similar Persian influence going on there. I agree more with Augustine of Hippo in that through his conversion he worked out so passionately and elegantly what he thought was wrong with that kind of dualism.

The world has its less appealing features, you know, of course. But a lot of it is really good, too. And if one does think that an infallible God made it (I probably wouldn’t say that I think that, if you really pressed me on it, but Paul apparently did, and so, evidently, do you), then it must be good. Even if that good isn’t always very easy to see. That’s what medieval teleological thinkers decided, right? But you seem very smart, so if you think I’m way off then please explain to me where I’m wrong here.