Saturday, November 15, 2008

Boys

Wow.

We’ve been doing some family devotions out of a Veggie Tales book, and then we have prayer and communion together, before bed time. For some reason, the past two nights, we have read out of a child’s bible that John has. Last night, it was really wonderful.

John read the story, about Jacob and Esau. I was not sure if Joe was going to follow it because John was reading at his pace (but I guess children know exactly how to follow along with that!) At the end of the story, just when Jessie and I were about to start off some discussion, John did! He asked what we thought was the point of the story. Joe raised his hand and said, “it’s because the two brothers were fighting about the blessing.”

“So it’s in the category of jealousy?” John asked. I was wondering where he got the words, “category of jealousy…”

It was a sweet, wonderful, telling moment: the boys are perfectly capable of reading and understanding the Scriptures. In fact, you have to wait for the time when they are going to see more clearly than we do, what the point is.

1 comment:

Melissa K. said...

I love those boys! They are particularly insightful! The other night Katelyn and I were reading a new book a friend gave us. It's Psalm 23 but all of the pictures are set in a low-income urban area (I'll show it to you later.) There's one picture that has a stained glass window in the background of this scene with a family and in the glass is a picture of Jesus. I asked Katelyn, "Where is Jesus?" And without hesitation she pointed to the man in the stained glass. We'd never read the book before. I think children know and see things that we don't. :)