Sunday, March 9, 2008

Random Notes

Lately, my blog entries are more random notes.

A few weeks ago, on a day it was sleeting, John decided he was going to run away. It was Saturday, Jessie was at the house. I packed John a bag and gave him a granola bar. He was going to Mammaw’s, he said. He was tired of Joe annoying him. So I sent him out the door. Jessie was a bit worried, wondering how I would let him go. He stood in the front yard, looking this way and that. Then he did something I did not expect. He really started leaving. So Jessie went behind him, hiding behind trees and fences, watching close as he crossed a few streets. Looking both ways. Good boy! I called Maggie and said John was running away. So she got some hot chocolate ready for him. He did not make it much past her house. Then on the way back, he spotted Jessie. They walked back and he told her he was coming back because he had not said goodbye to Joe Joe. Then he mentioned that I had told him a road a little further on was dangerous and he did not think the interstate was safe “for a little boy like me.”

My friend Clark had another pithy illustration. In relation to our friends who have gone on to be with the Lord, and in answer to the people who wonder not only how did they have such peace, but how do we who are left behind have such continued assurance and joy, he said: “if you know that at the end of the day there is a great meal, it doesn’t matter how bad the work sucks.”

1 comment:

maggie said...

i don't know that i'll ever get that image of john standing outside my house with his umbrella, just walking like he was man on a mission. he seriously looked like an 80-year old man and i loved it. i was trying really hard not to laugh.