Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Psalm-O-Matic

A few weeks ago in our prayer and fasting time, I started with reading Psalm 15 aloud:
“Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
Who may live on your holy hill?
He whose walk is blameless, and who does what is righteous,
Who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue.
Who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellow man,
Who despises a vile man but honors those who fear the Lord,
Who keeps his oath even when it hurts, who lends money without usury
And does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things will never be shaken.”

I try to read five Psalms a day. I’ve been doing that for I guess 4 years now. I have impressed that on as many people as will listen. Leo is one who took to it immediately and has been doing it for over a year. It goes in cycles; some days I forget. But Leo and I were in sync on that day of prayer and fasting. He came in late and after a few minutes he said he had something on his heart to read and it was Psalm 15! We wondered why did God want us to hear it twice? Maybe we didn’t get it the first time around? Maybe it’s just good to hear it twice? Maybe, in fasting, we were seeking to live on the holy hill, purifying ourselves? Whatever it was, we were blessed!

This morning (and I mean early, because I am in Cali), Jessica called. We had decided that we were going to read 5 Psalms together, and it seemed we needed to start as soon as the Lord placed it on our hearts to do so, not waiting for me to get back to the Kentuck. I guess, too, I really needed it; being here for my grandfather’s funeral has opened up a lot of stuff.
So the phone rang. Psalms 1-5. Read out loud. And then prayer. And then bye. That was it. Perhaps the best conversation we have ever had, letting God speak into us.

No comments: