Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ica Sue

Last week was me and Ica’s first anniversary. In some ways, it seems longer than a year, it seems we have known each other a lot longer than perhaps we really have.

There’s a lot of things I could say about her. Here’s what I particularly treasure.

She loves Jesus more than she loves me. This is absolutely the only thing that makes it work. If we didn’t love Jesus more than we love each other, it would be a pitiful, paltry love. Sure, it might be good at times—the best human love can be. But then it would also be the worst human love can be. We’ll take Jesus and His love.

On our wedding night, she was cool with the boys wanting all of us to sleep in the living room, watching t.v. all night. They said it was her “sleepover.” I think most folks thought we were nuts about that. Her comment about coming into our lives was that she knew the Bible called her to take care of widows and orphans, she just didn’t think that was going to mean marriage!

She is preternaturally strong for someone so small. This really helps when you need to move a fridge or furniture. Or when you have to pack a lot of lumber. I call her “my mule.” Sadly for her, this has spread around…

She likes being in the garden. Maybe likes it more than I do, so there’s no conflict about working in the garden all day Saturdays and then most evenings, too.

She has a heart for people who need Jesus.

She can cook some really good potatoes.

She is so pretty, and has this air about her that brings a lot of joy into our house, like a fresh breeze, and that sure was needed.

John says:

She’s funny
She has a nice grandma
I like her green beans
I like the way her nose looks like one of those skateboard ramps
She wants to grow a garden and I want to grow a garden, so we have something in common
I like how she likes to listen to Marty Stuart

Joe says:

She’s nice
She’s cute
She’s cool
I play games with her
I feel happy because she loves me

2 comments:

Misty said...

Dear Brother Aaron,

So good to hear how happy you & the boys are. I remember how it was when you where so sad, worn out & tired from preaching at the wrong church, raising two boys and watching your wife die.

Melissa was the first person outside the family to hold my son for any period of time. The 3 of us sat in my kitchen while she got her baby fix. We got to know each other & talk. It was the 1st, last & only time that we were alone & she felt good. I will treasure the memory always.
I was a bonifide sinner who was coming back to the Lord and the church. I remember Melissa hugging me & telling me how glad she was that I was there. I knew the Lord was radiating out of this person who was an angel here on earth.
I am not going to lie to you...it was hard to think about you getting married again. Reading your blogg, looking at pics, videos. Praying w/ you over the phone about Isaiah. (He is talking up a storm. Praise Jesus! although I might be sorry he is one day)I can feel through the spirit how happy & blessed you and the boys are for having Jessica. I know in Heaven Melissa, Jessica and you will work it out. Most men only dream of having one woman 1/2 as good as either one you have been blessed with. Being a preacher you do alot of good, but you need to get down on your knees everynight thanking the dear Lord for how you do in the wife department.
Bless, miss & love you the boys & Jessica. Happy Anniversary. Misty

Life as I know it said...

Thank you Aaron, John, and Joe... You three bless me more than I ever imagined. Praise the Lord for bringing us together. Happy Anniversary.

Jess-Ica Sue, Harper Chick, Mama Jessie, Trickster, and the list goes on...

I love you!