Wednesday, March 11, 2009

On the Street

Another in the annals of evangelism stories. Me and Roz really need to write a book. Anyway, on a street where I have had encounters with Jehovahs and Mormons, the only guy I got to meet is a case study. He was picking up trash from the where the trash pickup had scattered it. I commented by way of introduction that there’s more trash after they come by, and he laughed. As I handed him the card I use (church name, service times, etc), and mentioned that I was a pastor, he immediately waved me off and said, “I’m not a church-goer.”

“Why not?”

“I follow more of the Buddhist way.”

So I had to turn down my inner monologue. Here’s what the filter caught: “You Northside stoner! Of course you follow Buddha! You were baked and god forbid your dealer is the county jailhouse philosopher…”

What I said was, “it’s been my experience that people who say that have no idea what they are talking about. It’s really more honest to just say you don’t have time for really changing your life to please God. We won’t waste each other’s time that way.”

The problem is this: b.s. is worse than lying. B.S. is still a lie, it just fools the hearer and speaker into thinking something was actually thought out and said. Tell me you go to Nonesuch Baptist Church. Lie to me, just don’t b.s. me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, now. I think that's a bit needlessly dismissive. Some of us really are Buddhists, and arrived at the decision to become that for reasons that seem good to us, just as you became Christian based on (I assume) sincere and thoughtful consideration, and for reasons that seem good to you.

Aaron said...

Well, this post was not about you. After doing this for 15 years, I know when someone is full of it.

Anonymous said...

OK, fair enough. I myself am not a great Buddhist, anyway. And it does have the kind of trendy appeal that can attract people who are insincere, so I can see why the "I'm a Buddhist" answer would get under your skin.