Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Monday Night

Last night’s dinner and service was a bit more subdued. 70 people, and as I was wondering if we were at that point where we were seeing the numbers settle down to a natural point, Bill reminded me that next week is the Monday before the end of the month, and that will be a big night as everyone has to scramble to have enough until to pay rent, to wait for checks to come in, etc.

The service was good; I preached an updated version of Wesley’s sermon, “Scriptural Christianity.” I suppose it makes sense that if you are gathering people together who don’t go to church that Wesley’s sermons would hit the spot. One fellow came forward, seeking the peace of Christ in his life. The guy really has a tough row to hoe, and coming to Christ will mean a long hard look at where he is and why. That’s where the power is in Jesus—not a momentary feel-good, say a few right words and then right back at the old life…

We continue to notice the people who will not stay for a service. Some will leave if they know there is one. Some come in for a little while and then leave during singing or the sermon. A fellow who struggles with alcohol came up to me as he was leaving and said, “I enjoyed the sermon. I am going to keep coming and maybe I will be ready to be saved.” He wants it, but not enough, and knows he has to keep calling out to God to receive it.

We had soup beans and corn bread for dinner, so you know that was a hit.

We had a minor issue with a fellow who was not treating his wife well. She had wanted to pray with me, but he would not let her after the service. So I prayed with her at the meal. Next thing I know, he is hollering at her to get moving to where the food baskets are. I went over there to scope things out. He said something to her about making sure she wasn’t lying. It seems he is afraid she might be asking for prayer because of him. There was a chorus of ladies saying they would not put up with that from their man, etc. After some more abuse from him, I told him he needed to show more respect for his wife and others or he would not be allowed to come back. He called me a bastard and headed out. I went up behind him, mostly to make sure he was not being a chump. LG and G-man were coming in the door as he left, and LG said he was crying about “hypocrites.” I heard him carrying on about something as he went down the ramp. I asked him if he had anything to say. “You’re a damn hypocrite.” Like I worry about what he thinks. I told him alright, don’t come back.

It’s been about three weeks of that—setting some ground work for respect. There are always a few people who act out and embarrass others or just make people uncomfortable. If they can’t keep it in line, they’ll have to go until they can.

As we gathered after the meal, there were 21 volunteers who sat around to hear some words from Vanier’s book and to pray. We focused in the reading on issues about welcoming the poor and listening to them. And then also on being firm that no one has right to disrupt or abuse the fellowship, and leaders have no right to allow that to continue. It seemed strangely appropriate.

At one time, I had a baby-sitter ready for the boys. But they want to come to the dinner. I thought they would think it was boring, or that I was keeping them at the church too much. But no, they want to get right in and hang out, esp with the kitchen help. John sat and drank tea with Judy Lyon. How beautiful. She has been a part of his life since before he was born.

We have had this idea that what we want to have happen is for the folks who come to take ownership, to help. But we also want them to have a hand in what happens, how the ministry works. Can we turn it over to the folks who come? Already two cooks and three other helpers are people who come or who came to receive help. And now they give back.

Here’s how beautiful this work is:

Gwen saw the Upper Room (a book of devotional thoughts), and wondered if we would send one to her son, who is in prison. She then got to saying that maybe we should ask around the dinner and find out if anyone there has family in prison. Gwen would come to the church and make a package for them with an Upper Room and a note from her. This is the point of Methodism: do ministry to, such as feeding and clothing, preaching, all the while looking to do ministry from. That is to say, from the poor, from our own poverty of spirit.

And then there’s this: we’re going to have our first wedding from the Monday night ministry. A fellow I loosely know asked if I could marry people. Yes I can. Would I? he asked. Yes, I will. Taking the time, effort, and expense to do this ministry means, in this instance, that a couple does not have to go to get a legal contract of marriage enforced. They will do it before God.

Christ the Lord is risen today, alleluia, amen.

1 comment:

Johnny G said...

I enjoyed being part of it last night. We're finally living in to our vision - a church for our community. Now, the rest of the church just needs to get on board.